We have assisted many First Nations in the drafting and implementation of Land Codes, laws and policies under the First Nations Land Management Act, and the Framework Agreement. Past successes include:
Land Code Development:
- Helping to draft Land Codes;
- Negotiating Individual Agreements for the transfer of Land Management Authority from Canada to First Nations; and
- Assisting with community consultation and ratification.
Land Code Implementation:
- Working with First Nations to develop and institute matrimonial property laws that are strongly grounded in traditional law;
- Drafting comprehensive environmental monitoring and assessment laws and regulations;
- Providing advice concerning First Nation Land real property transactions and registration;
- Assisting with Land governance structures, processes, policies and procedures; and
- Working with Nations to create subdivision and servicing laws, building codes and the other supporting legislation that enable sustainable and commercially-successful development to proceed.