We are always interested in hearing from individuals who wish to join our team.
Please send supporting documents in pdf format only
Solicitor - Victoria, BC
Woodward & Company LLP is seeking to add a solicitor to work full-time in our Victoria, British Columbia office. We practice in Aboriginal Law and represent First Nations and other Indigenous governments and organizations across Canada. Please consult our website at: http://www.woodwardandcompany.com for an overview of our practice areas.
If you are at least a 6-year call, and have experience in one or more of the following areas, we invite you to apply:
- Trusts, including settlement, business, land and First Nation community trusts;
- Tax – general practice with knowledge of aboriginal tax matters;
- Corporate/commercial, including secured transactions;
- First Nation legislation and bylaw drafting; and
- Commercial development and leasing on First Nation lands.
Applicants should also demonstrate the following:
- Member in good standing with one or more Canadian law societies
- Self-motivated and confident
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent technical/legal writing skills
- Able to explain complex legal concepts and procedural information across disciplines and cultures
- A strong team player able to balance working independently and within interdisciplinary teams including providing mentorship to junior associates
- Willingness to travel (post-pandemic) and cultivate relationships with current and future clients
- Willingness to participate in cultural and professional events (external/internal) including speaking engagements
- Salary commensurate with experience and year of call
- Immediate enrollment in our Group Benefits Plan (Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription/Paramedical)
- Employer RSP contribution
- Employer paid Law Society and CBA fees
- Continuing Professional Development allowance
Please forward the following (in pdf format only) to email@example.com:
- cover letter;
- writing sample (excerpt please – maximum 4 pages); and
- two letters of reference.
Legal Assistant - Solicitor - Victoria, BC
Woodward & Company LLP provides a full suite of legal services to Indigenous governments, businesses and individuals. We are seeking a Legal Assistant to join us as a full-time member of our solicitor team. This position requires a confident, outgoing, and engaging individual who displays self-motivation, professionalism, and a mature work ethic.
Core Job Accountabilities:
- Preparing documents including (drafting, formatting, editing) correspondence, memos, agreements, legislation, codes, by-laws, leasing, land titles/registration and reports;
- Providing corporate services support such as business and societies registration, annual report filings and minute book maintenance;
- Providing commercial services support such as the preparation of transactional documentation and due diligence for mergers, share and asset purchases, sales agreements, secured transactions and corporate restructuring; and,
- Daily use of software databases and document management systems, to search and manage all documentation and complex matters.
- Strong problem-solving skills and resourcefulness;
- Knowledge of legal practices, terminology, and processes;
- Familiarity with BC Online, Corporate Online, LTSA and/or other land registry systems;
- High level initiative (knowing when to seek appropriate direction);
- Excellent organization skills;
- A keen attention to detail;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- A quick learner;
- Very strong technical competencies: proficient knowledge and use of MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe functionality;
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced work environment; and,
- Reliable and dependable attendance is essential for this position.
- Grade 12 graduation supplemented with a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a solicitor practice with increasing exposure to more complex matters.
- Preference may be given to candidates with completion of a Legal Assistant program from an accredited educational institution in Canada.
Why Woodward & Company?
Woodward & Company LLP offers meaningful work and a great compensation package with a competitive salary based on education and experience. Together with a generous range of benefits, including group health insurance, an employer RSP contribution, additional paid time off, and strong support for education and professional development.
At Woodward & Company you can expect an outgoing and friendly workplace culture where teamwork, an excellent work ethic, and high-level respect are the norm.
Please forward your cover letter and resumé in PDF format to the attention of Pamela Toovey, CPHR at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we would like to thank all applicants for their expression of interest in our developing opportunities, please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.